Can dogs eat mushrooms?

There are many different types of wild mushrooms and toadstools that grow in the UK. They are most commonly found in the autumn months, between September and November. Mushrooms usually grow in woodlands and parks, and they can even be seen in gardens.

Table of Contents

Are dogs allowed mushrooms?

It’s best to avoid letting your dog eat wild mushrooms. There are many that are poisonous to them and can lead to serious problems. If your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, speak to a vet straight away. Even if your dog is not showing any signs of illness.

dogs allowed mushrooms

Are mushrooms bad for dogs?

Yes, wild mushrooms can be dangerous for dogs. You should always contact your vet immediately if your dog has eaten any. Some species can be extremely toxic to dogs. Even licking some types can lead to illness. 

Shop-bought mushrooms may be okay to add to your dog’s food as part of a balanced diet – we recommend speaking to a qualified dog nutritionist before doing this.


Wild mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs. Poisoning can range from mild to severe symptoms, usually depending on the type and how many have been eaten.

Choking and obstruction

Because of their shape and size, when ingested whole, mushrooms can lead to choking. Less commonly, they may lead to obstruction or blockage in the stomach or intestine. These are both extremely serious conditions that require immediate attention and complex surgery. 

pexels pixabay 259844 min min

How poisonous are mushrooms to dogs?

The severity of mushroom poisoning will depend on the type and how many are eaten. Some mushrooms may only cause mild symptoms, such as a tummy upset. There are a few species of mushrooms that are extremely poisonous. Eating these can lead to symptoms such as seizures and, sadly, even death. 

How many mushrooms does a dog need to eat to make them ill?

Unfortunately, it is impossible to say how many mushrooms can cause your dog to become ill. Even small amounts of an extremely toxic type can cause severe symptoms.  

What are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs?

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs can vary from mild to more serious, and this usually depends on the type of mushroom and quantity eaten. 

Mild symptoms include 

More serious symptoms include

  • Tummy pain
  • Collapse
  • Loss of balance
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Shock and death 

What happens if my dog eats a mushroom?

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning usually start within 1-6 hours after ingestion. Less commonly, the reaction can sometimes be delayed, and symptoms may not start until 12-24 hours later.

Treatment of mushroom poisoning depends on how severe the symptoms are and how quickly your dog is seen after ingestion. 

  • If caught quickly, your vet might make your dog vomit to bring up the mushrooms before the toxin takes full effect. 
  • Blood and urine tests will usually be recommended to check organ function.
  • Mild cases might be treated at home with anti-sickness and other supportive medication. 
  • More severe cases usually require hospitalisation for fluids and monitoring. They may also need a gastric lavage, which is where the stomach is emptied to remove as much toxin as possible. 
mushroom poisoning dog

What should I do if I think my dog has eaten a mushroom?

If you suspect your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, we recommend contacting your vet straight away, even if your dog is not showing any illness. Waiting to see if any symptoms develop can lead to a longer recovery or a poorer outcome. 

  • Remove your dog from the area where the mushrooms are immediately. 
  • Make a note of the time and how much was eaten. 
  • Take a few clear photos at different angles of any left over mushroom.
  • Your vet may recommend contacting the pet poison line
  • Do not try to identify the mushroom yourself; there are many toxic mushrooms that look very similar to non-toxic types. 

How do I stop my dog eating mushrooms?

  • Keep your dog on a lead in high-risk areas if they are prone to eating things they shouldn’t.
  • You can use a basket muzzle if your dog is prone to scavenging objects on the ground. 
  • Make sure to check your garden daily in the autumn and remove any mushrooms. Keep your dog out of the garden until it is safe. 
  • If you see your dog eating a mushroom, try to remove it from their mouth if it is safe to do so. 

There are many types of wild mushrooms and toadstools in the UK. Some are extremely toxic to dogs when eaten. Contact a vet immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten any wild mushrooms. 

garden mushrooms

Our Joii vet team are available 24 hours a day for advice.

Consult a vet - £28

Consult your vet online. Anyday, anytime.

Consult a Joii vet online for £28. Or free if you’re insured with one of our partners.

Developed by vets 🩺

QR code to app

How to get an

Join a practice

*It's free*

Download the app to register and become a member of Joii vets. In only a few taps you will have access to digital vet care 24/7 as well as a vet practice

Download the app

We’re writing as quick as we can

This article is currently being written by one of our expert vets. Check back soon.